Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Norm [nawrm]:

A standard made by society, which unfortunately refrains individuals from being personal and sincere.
For example, when walking home, me and a fellow walker fell into the exact pace. We walked side-by-side for a little over a block and the entire time I had a persistent urge to speed up or slow down. It was so uncomfortable to share the sidewalk with this unknown male. But then I thought, "Why do I feel so awkward?". Why can I not walk next to someone and feel completely comfortable? Why do individuals in the elevator, all crowded together, going to the same destination, and probably have loads in common with one another, feel constrained to silence? Our society has made individuality so prized and rigid that conversation between strangers is looked down upon and steered away from.  It has become a taboo! How unfortunate.

After this incident, I made a vow to breach this social norm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home